21 Apr Adventure Bread – Gluten Free Seed Bread
This amazing gluten-free, vegan loaf is made entirely with seeds, nuts and dried fruit. The recipe is similar to old world Danish rye bread recipes, minus the gluten-containing rye flour. Hearty, healthy and filling, the high fiber content will promote digestive health and weight loss. The recipe below is adapted from Josey Baker’s “Adventure Bread” recipe. You can find his original recipe here.
Makes one 8” loaf or 3 mini loaves
One 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan, oiled. Line bottom with parchment paper.
1⅛ cups (117g) rolled oats
½ cup (80g) sunflower seeds, hulled, toasted (350ºF for 10 minutes, stirring halfway)
½ cup (45g) hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
⅜ cup (60g) flax seeds
⅓ cup currants or raisins
¼ cup (32g) pumpkin seeds, hulled, toasted (350ºF for 10 minutes, stirring halfway)
⅛ cup (20g) ground psyllium seed husks* (or 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder)
1½ tablespoons (12g) chia seeds
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon (6g) fine sea salt
1 tablespoon (20g) maple syrup
⅛ cup (25g) olive oil
1¼ cups (300g) water
1. Pour all dry ingredients into a large bowl; stir to combine.
2. Add in the wet ingredients and use your hands to mix well.
3. Scoop dough into your prepared pan and smooth out the top; cover with plastic wrap.
4. Place in refrigerator for 3-24 hours (overnight is ideal).
5. Remove the bread from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
6. Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Bake on rack in the middle of the oven for 1 hour, then remove from oven. Gently remove the loaf from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
7. Let cool for at least 2 hours. Don’t rush it here, this bread is D*E*N*S*E, and requires time to set.
Serve: This bread is best sliced thin (around ½-inch) and then toasted and spread with butter and/or jam. But it’s still delicious untoasted. It will keep for 3 days.
*Psyllium seed husks provide the binder for the bread, so do not omit. You can purchase psyllium seed husks or psyllium powder at health food stores, The Santa Monica Co-op and Trader Joe’s.